Dr. Noor Mohammad retired from the Indian Administrative Service on 31st July, 2011 (Born on 30th July, 1951). He held important positions like Secretary National Disaster Management Authority (Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India), Member Secretary NCR Planning Board (Ministry of Urban Development, GOI), Chief Electoral Advisor UNDP Kabul, International Election Commissioner Afghanistan (2005 Parliament Elections), Deputy Election Commissioner Election Commission of India and Chief Electoral Officer Uttar Pradesh.
He has a PhD degree in Economics from Lucknow University and an MA degree in Economics from Kanpur University. He is also an MSc in Physics from AMU Aligarh and MSc in Administrative Sciences and Development Problems from University of York, UK. At present, he is working for India International Institute for Democracy and Election Management, Election Commission of India, New Delhi as a training and capacity building expert. He has, to his credit, a number of gold medals and first positions in recognition to his excellence in academics.
He has been involved in educational planning in the state of Uttar Pradesh and held the position of Secretary Basic Education Uttar Pradesh. He also held the position of Director, UP State Institute of Educational Technology and got a record number of educational videos to be broadcast on the Doordarshan produced. He facilitated issuance of UP government decision to recognize certificates of Madarsa Education. He negotiated and signed $700 million World Bank assistance for improving basic education in the state. He is passionate about quality education and is at present working towards establishing Quality Education Foundation (QED Foundation) to promote quality education in the country that can help leverage demographic gains of India.
In addition, he held important positions such as Chairman Association of Municipalities and Development Authorities, Chairman UP Waqf Development Corporation, Waqf Commissioner UP, Managing Director UP Waqf Development Corporation and Managing Director UP Minorities Financial and Development Corporation where he made manifest contributions. He also worked as President, UP Urdu Academy for a short period.
He, on request, agreed to work as Acting Vice Chancellor, AMU Aligarh and worked there for a week. During this short period, more than a month long strike of Junior Doctors was resolved amicably and classes were started on a regular basis and a number of steps were started to put the functioning of the university on rail. However, he had to leave due to interim order by the Hon’ble High Court of Allahabad.
An IAS officer of the 1977 batch, he devoted his career to providing responsive and transparent governance that empowers civil society and eradicates administrative malpractice such as corruption and nepotism. He has a wide experience in managing institutions. Through his interactions with foreign institutions and international bodies such as the United Nations, he has discovered opportunities for applying new paradigms and best practices to improve governance in the Indian context. His experience can be summarized as follows:
- Enabled the conduct of free and fair elections through preventative detention of anti-social elements and deployment of electoral staff through random number generation to curtail undue influence of political entities.
- Responsible for the conduct of 6 general elections in India and the Afghan parliamentary election in 2005 which were widely regarded by the polity, media and observers as peaceful, fair and well executed. In recognition of my commitment to transparency and good governance, I was empanelled by the United Nation’s Department of Political Affairs as an electoral expert D1 level.
- Provided crucial support in execution of politically and logistically complex elections in Jammu and Kashmir in 2002. Revised and computerized electoral records and recruited 2,500 staff from the state of UP to serve in Kashmir. Elections were internationally recognized as free and fair and a testament to India’s rich democratic traditions.
- Instituted new procedures for the revision of electoral records in Jammu and Kashmir and North Eastern states to address politically sensitive issues such as the identification and exclusion of foreigners from the electoral process. Procedures implemented produced results and restored confidence of the public and political entities in the electoral process.
- Introduced reading of electoral rolls in the open meetings of Gaon Sabhas prior to elections to mitigate fraud and enhance transparency.
Infrastructure Development and Financing
- Deep understanding of the procurement and disbursement mechanism of funds for projects aided by the government and international entities.
- Worked with a diverse set of international partners such as The World Bank, Asian Development Bank and KfW to negotiate financing and supervise disbursement for education, health, transport infrastructure projects.
- Met rigorous performance measures for budgeting, disbursement and audits to minimize corruption and leakage.
General Administration/ Managing Institutions
- Held positions/ managed institutions as given in the last page of this CV.
- Successfully managed a number of institutions, the notable ones being State Institute of Education Technologies, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow.
- Successfully held positions at sub-division, district, state and the national level during the entire career. Held sensitive positions like Joint/Special secretary to Chief Minister and in the Election Commission of India.
- Achieved the organizational targets, improved efficiency by introducing IT and increased accessibility of public officials to the public.
- Worked for corruption free functioning of the office through strong action and increasing transparency.
Application of Modern Technologies in Governance
- Led out of the box thinking to introduce new initiatives in electoral management such as online registration of voters, printing photographs in the voter list, transmission of election results in real time, rationalization of deployment of election observers, use of GIS in delimitation of constituencies and hosting voter lists and candidate details on the internet.
- First to introduce automation and tracking of VIP references in the Chief Minister’s office in 1986.
- Pioneered use of educational technologies to produce video based lessons in education in Uttar Pradesh in 1993.
- Led initiatives to use a broad range of technologies such as GIS, mobile SMS and social media in disaster management planning in India. Technologies will be used for coordinating mitigation, response and rescue efforts.
His work took him to Europe, USA, Mexico, Australia, Africa and a number of Asian countries.
His education details and experience at a glance is given below:
PhD, Economics (Impact of economic reforms on rural industries in India), Lucknow University, July 2000
MSc, Administrative Sciences & Development Problems, Department of Politics, York University, UK; November 1990 – October 1991
MA, Economics, Kanpur University; 1988 – 1990
MSc, Physics, Gold Medalist, Aligarh Muslim University; 1971 – 1973
BSc (Honours), Physics, Gold Medalist, Aligarh Muslim University; 1969 – 1971
EXPERIENCE AT A GLANCE
|1||Secretary, National Disaster Management Authority||01.02.11||31.07.11|
|2||Member Secretary, NCR Planning Board||27.08.08||01.02.11|
|3||Deputy Election Commissioner Election Commission of IndiaInternational Election Commissioner, UN, KabulChief Electoral Advisor, UNDP, Kabul||06.01.03Mar 2005April 2006||26.08.08Dec 2005Dec 2006|
|4||Secretary & Chief Electoral Officer, U.P||12.05.94||06.01.03|
|5||Chairman, U.P. Waqf Development Corporation||17.09.93||11.01.94|
|6||Commissioner, Department of Waqf, U.P.||20.08.93||12.05.94|
|7||Director, State Institute of Edu. Technology||19.03.93||12.05.94|
|8||Secretary , Basic Education Deptt., U.P.||18.02.93||12.05.94|
|9||Director, State Urban Development Agency, U.P.||13.10.92||17.02.93|
|10||Special Secretary, Housing and Urban Dev. Deptt., U.P.||14.07.92||17.02.93|
|11||Additional Director, SGPGI of Medical Sciences, Lucknow||23.11.91||14.07.92|
|12||Controller, U.P. Homeopathic Medicine Board||02.11.91||03.08.92|
|13||Special Secretary, Medical Education Deptt., U.P.||11.10.91||14.07.92|
|14||Special Secretary, Small Scale, Khadi & Village Industries Deptt., U.P.||03.10.89||30.09.90|
|15||Special Secretary, Irrigation Deptt., U.P.||12.08.88||03.10.89|
|16||Managing Director, U.P. Waqf Development Corporation||03.08.88||30.09.90|
|17||Special Secretary, State Civil Aviation Deptt., U.P.||25.07.87||18.04.88|
|18||Special Secretary, International Aid Cell, U.P.||25.07.87||12.08.88|
|19||Special Secretary, Muslim Waqf Deptt., U.P||18.04.87||30.09.90|
|20||Special Secretary, Chief Minister Office, UP||18.04.87||12.08.88|
|21||Joint Secretary, Muslim Waqf Deptt., U.P.||22.07.86||17.04.87|
|22||Managing Director, U.P. Minorities Financial & Development Corporation, Lucknow||22.07.86||30.09.90|
|23||Joint Secretary, Chief Minister Office, UP||16.12.85||17.04.87|
|24||Joint Secretary, Animal Husbandry, Dairies and Fisheries, U.P.||29.06.85||16.12.85|
|25||District Magistrate, Lalitpur||03.06.82||26.06.85|
|26||Regional Food Controller, Kumaon||06.04.81||31.05.82|
|27||Addl. Distt. Magistrate (P), Almora||31.03.80||06.04.81|
|28||City Magistrate, Gorakhpur||12.12.79||24.03.80|
|29||SDO/ SDM Gyanpur, Varanasi||14.07.79||08.12.79|
*Position written bold are the substantive assignments and the remaining are additional charges.
24/802, East End Apartments, Mayur Vihar Phase I Extension, Delhi – 110096